Deadline for application is August 24, 2022
JOB TITLE: Local Food Procurement Specialist Contract Position
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
RANGE OF SERVICE: Ends June 30, 2024
SALARY RANGE: $50,000 Annually + Travel Expenses
The Food Depot is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization looking for a committed, community-minded person who values our vision of a hunger-free New Mexico. This is a federally-funded position for a two-year period. This project will allow New Mexico farmers, growers and food producers to expand their market reach and supports food banks to get a reliable quantity of local fresh food for clients in need. The purpose of the project is to purchase fresh, New Mexico-grown produce, dairy, and protein and distribute it through New Mexico’s hunger-relief network to people struggling with hunger. Our focus is to purchase from disadvantaged producers, providing a more reliable market, and adding more variety for food bank clients.
The Local Food Procurement Specialist will work closely with the New Mexico Department of Agriculture and other project partners to identify potential producers for participation, establish relationships with local producers, identify purchasing opportunities, and coordinate sales to New Mexico food banks and their hunger-relief network.
- Manages all aspects of locally produced food acquisitions, including assessment of quantity and availability of locally produced food, product solicitation and purchases, donor receipting and reporting, and donor relations; maintains tracking and reporting needed to demonstrate successes and opportunities within the project
- Researches and identifies producers throughout New Mexico that could be eligible for the project; document details on New Mexico’s food system such as growing seasons and regions, product variety and potential for future growth of the project; participate in conversations with New Mexico producers to plan and contract for food purchase at food banks’ request
- Works in conjunction with the New Mexico Farmers Marketing Association to access and input product availability into the Local Foods Date Portal and to sign up potential vendors in the Approved Supplier Program
- Evolves operational processes for food purchase and allocating in a scalable, equitable and consistent method; partners with food banks to align distribution processes with other food procurement or sharing projects
- Participates on and maintains communications with members of task force to allow for continuous project evaluation and to ensure success of project; develops all required and requested reports on progress
- Manages recall process of local product within operation and for food banks and their partner agencies
- Achieves positive customer relationships with local product donors, food banks and their partner agencies
- Assures that food is handled in accordance with safe food handling practices
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests
- Understands and complies with all Food Depot policies, procedures, and systems
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to gather complex data, and knowledge of food procurement
- Working knowledge of New Mexico food systems, food production operations, food banking or supply chain and distribution a plus
Other Desired Attributes
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of people in a team approach to achieve successful results
- Ability to gather information from a variety of sources, plan, organize and effectively present concepts and recommendations to groups
- Experience in developing new projects
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with a variety of stakeholders and constituents
- Demonstrated self-starter with problem-solving ability
- Ability to work with a customer/donor focus
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of The Food Depot and New Mexico Association of Food Banks
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, excellent customer service skills
- Must be computer literate, knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; knowledge of inventory systems a plus
- Negative Pre-Employment Drug Screening
- Provide proof of vaccinations required at The Food Depot (COVID)
- Clean Driving Record – New Mexico Driver’s License
There is flexibility in position location but must be a New Mexico resident. Some presence at The Food Depot office in Santa Fe may be required, and we expect travel to be necessary.
This contract position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the person in this position. You will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give assignments.
This position description excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.